Congratulations to the September 2018 ROSE Award recipients

OHSU’s ROSE (Recognizing Outstanding Service Excellence) Award program celebrates employees, students and volunteers who provide outstanding service beyond the normal scope of their jobs.

Meet this month’s recipients and learn why they were nominated below!

Red ROSE Award recipients

Andrew Paulson, R.N., Cardiovascular Intermediate Care
Andrew was caring for a patient transfer from another floor right at change of shift. The patient, who has schizophrenia, was homeless, and had been collecting soda cans from his prolonged hospitalization so he could return them for money when he left the hospital. During the transfer, his soda cans got left behind and were believed to have been discarded. The patient was extremely upset, crying about how it was the only money he was going to have when he left. When I arrived to the room, Andrew was sitting beside the patient, listening to him, validating his feelings of loss, distrust and anger at the situation. After he finished his shift, Andrew went down to the previous floor and rummaged through their trash and spoke to several staff members. He eventually found the soda cans in another patient’s room. Andrew explained what had happened and was able to return the cans to our patient. I believe he truly went above and beyond in order to help his patient, and by doing so, helped restore some of the patient’s trust in his caregivers. This happened at a time when the patient was in pain and had just had an invasive and traumatic procedure. Andrew’s effort relieved at least one of his stressors. To many of us, missing soda cans don’t seem like a big deal, but to my patient, it was his livelihood. Andrew is the type of nurse that will go above and beyond the call of duty, to make sure our patients are taken care of, whatever that happens to entail.

Quinn Brown, Supervisor, Environmental Services
Quinn is an outstanding supervisor who goes above and beyond for her employees. On more than one occasion I have seen her helping employees finish an emergency stat room or with a schedule that needed last minute coverage. There was a time when Environmental Services was short staffed. As a result, she relied even more on her employees to get the job done and to be her eyes and ears for any issues that needed addressed. She recognized these employees’ contributions by mailing each of them a handwritten thank-you note to their home. That meant so much to me because I’ve never had a supervisor recognize me and my contributions like that. She is always willing to help even when she’s not here. I can text her work number about an issue on her day off, not expecting a response, and within the hour she’s texting me back. She is an outstanding supervisor and we need more people like her.

Jeanne Sutter, Administrative Coordinator, Behavioral Neuroscience
Jeanne came to our department to replace a staff member whose duties were being shifted. The department was skeptical that anyone could be as amazing as them but we were wrong! She is basically the glue that holds our department together. Jeanne’s desk used to be in front of the office door so when you walked in you were immediately greeted by her smile. She knows everyone’s name and is always happy to talk about anything. The special thing about Jeanne is how personable she is. She’ll stop and chat in the hall, she’ll sit next to you on the bus and she’ll hang out with you at events. On top of that, she is a rock star at planning and executing events with the help of our student populated “prom committee.” Together they host our Halloween party, holiday party, end-of-the-year party and much more. Jeanne makes us smile, solves our administrative woes and clearly cares about us and is invested in our lives.She does everything so well it often goes unnoticed. She’s a constant in our department, improving our graduate school experience in innumerable ways. She is the best!

James Murphy, Research Associate, Trauma, Critical Care and Acute Care Surgery
“Dr. James Murphy was walking through the 9th floor lobby when he noticed a provider struggling to administer oxygen to a large male who was slumped over and strapped in a wheelchair. The patient was arriving with an outside transport aide and had not been checked in or taken to the ER on the 8th floor. Dr. Murphy immediately identified that the patient was unresponsive, cyanotic with a completely obstructed airway. The patient was rapidly moved to the floor with the assistance of passer-by trauma surgeon Dr. Martin Schreiber, where Dr. Murphy was able to perform more aggressive lifesaving airway maneuvers until the rapid response team arrived and assumed care. Dr. Joe Robertson commended Dr. Murphy; expressing his appreciation that Dr. Murphy ‘took the correct, heroic and humanitarian action,’ and that ‘Dr. Murphy, who was dressed in street clothes and a baseball cap, realizes that these situations are uncomfortable – where it is not your patient or your responsibility to intervene, but overcoming that uncomfortableness is better than regretting that you did not intervene and there was a bad outcome.

Team Award: Debbie Reeves, R.N., Mitch Barclay, R.N., and Dr. Ahmed Raslan, South Services Operating Room 
Dr. Raslan had a neurosurgical patient with a history of poor experiences and outcome at another facility, as well as complex positioning needs. This patient had very little independent mobility and had high anxiety about how the surgical team would be able to safely transfer her from her wheelchair into position in the Operating Room in a way that would allow for the appropriate surgical exposure, but not put her at additional risk for broken bones. With the help of Debbie, Mitch and Ahmed, the South Services Operating Room was able to accommodate a positioning dry run in one of our conference rooms. This included disassembling a conference room table, having multiple OR beds and positioning aids, working with the patient in order to get her input on her mobility, and responding when she had concerns and discomfort in a variety of positions. This collaboration between the patient and staff allowed the team to formulate a plan for the entire hospitalization as well as coordinating care between the inpatient nursing staff and the patient’s own caregivers. The team checked with the patient to see how she was feeling about her care and how she felt the plan had prepared the team the following day. I am proud to work with medical teams who are so open and willing to engaging with one another and their patients to provide safety and assurance that the patient has chosen the right place for their care.

Golden ROSE Award recipients

Thomas Augst, Administrator on Duty
Recently, Emergency Department staff told me of amazing nursing care an Administrator on Duty provided for a family. A husband was visiting with his dying wife on an inpatient unit. She was scheduled to pass away the following day as they would be removing life sustaining care. During his time visiting, the husband, sick with cancer of his own, needed medical attention. Rapid Response was called and the patient was taken to the ED. He was quite sick and required hospital admission, but was going to leave against medical advice because he could not imagine being absent when his wife passed. Thomas, the Administrator on Duty that night, heard this story and got to work pulling all the strings he could. He moved multiple patients and collaborated with units to allow the husband and wife to be in the same hospital room. This was not an easy feat! Thomas showed compassion, humanity and care in his actions. We cannot thank him enough for helping provide a safe environment for this man to share in his wife’s death without hastening his own.

Jordan Miller, CNA, NRM Float Pool 
Jordan did an amazing job with a challenging patient with behavioral problems who was boarding in the Emergency Department for four days while waiting for a bed. This would be hard for any child to deal with, but was particularly stressful on this child, who has autism, ADHD and Pica disorder. Jordan worked with him all day, exhibiting kindness and compassion, yet continual redirection and safe boundaries. For several hours she was constantly engaged with him. She was even offered the chance to change assignments mid-shift and declined. She developed a money and sticker reward system that encouraged the patient’s positive behaviors and allowed the patient to be able to exchange different toys for play with the money or stickers earned. The patient, the nurses, and the patient’s family all became very engaged with the system Jordan developed as it kept the patient from escalating behaviors. We are now going to use the reward system as a possibility with future patients with similar issues. The entire ED team was very impressed by Jordan’s positive attitude, her skills in both entertaining and redirecting the patient and her seemingly tireless energy. I know the patient was appreciative as well!

Shelly Boelter, Audiologist, Otolaryngology (ENT)
My son is hearing impaired, wears aides, and uses assistive teach on a lanyard (FM system). When it stopped working, I was at a loss. We were unable to have it fixed where we originally purchased the device and our doctor was also unable to help. I finally got a name of a man in Cannon Beach who was helpful in troubleshooting, but ultimately gave me Shelly’s name. I was desperate at this point as my son had been without his FM for more than three months. I called Shelly’s office and she agreed to take a look. I showed up the next day but when I reached the front desk, I realized that I needed an appointment and she was booked out quite far. Just then Shelly’s door opened and she walked out. I explained that I couldn’t get an appointment and in response, she smiled and said, “No need. Just drop off the devices and I will get back to you with what I find out.” Not only did she work on it on her own time, but she talked with the aide company and got them to fix it under warranty! She found another part that wasn’t working and ordered that as well. I was so amazed at the unconditional compassion and support Shelly showed by spending the time to figure out the challenging puzzle of my son’s broken hearing devices. Shelly’s selfless act of kindness has reintroduced my son’s means to interpret his world and play an active, productive part in it. Thank you from our entire family!

Graham Ervin, Health Unit Coordinator, 10K Neurosciences
I would like to nominate our Health Unit Coordinator, Graham, for his quick response and actions that undoubtedly helped to save the life of my patient. The telemetry tech was unable to get through to me when my patient’s heart rate dropped dangerously low. They notified Graham, who sprang into action, rushing to the room to check on the patient, then getting myself and other staff into the room immediately. His fast actions led to quick initiation of a successful “code blue.” During the chaos of the code, not only did he help the whole code team, but he also balanced answering phone calls. A short time later, as the patient was being wheeled to CT en route to the ICU, he coded for a second time. Upon hearing the overhead page, Graham once again sprang into action, sprinting to our code cart and wheeling it down the hall. He then accompanied the patient with the cart all the way to the ICU. When he returned to the nurse’s station, he still hadn’t caught his breath but somehow had already ordered a new code cart and was answering phone calls, all with a smile on his face. Ultimately, the patient was safe and had a good outcome due in large part to Graham.He always goes above and beyond without complaint and brings laughter to those around him. We are so lucky to have him. Thank you, Graham!

Know someone at OHSU who deserves recognition? Nominate them for a ROSE Award!