Congratulations to the January 2019 ROSE Award recipients

OHSU’s ROSE (Recognizing Outstanding Service Excellence) Award program celebrates employees, students and volunteers who provide outstanding service beyond the normal scope of their jobs.

Meet this month’s recipients and learn why they were nominated below!

Red ROSE Award recipients

Isaac Fishler, R.N., 13K (Adult Oncology) 
I was at OHSU for an ileostomy surgery last September. What was supposed to be a four-day stay ended up being a nine-day stay due to complications. During my stay, I was taken care of by a nurse, Isaac, who was amazing! I actually looked forward to his shift starting at 7:00 p.m. each night. He kept me motivated to hang in there as I suffered from vomiting over four nights, from my drainage tube putting pressure on my small intestine and causing blockage. Isaac was calm and sensitive, and gave me gentle direction on what I needed to do. He cleaned up my mess and carefully gave me my meds so I wouldn’t vomit again. He talked to me, without talking down to me. He took my mind off of my pain, cared for me and made me laugh. Finally, when they removed my drainage tube, I recovered, didn’t vomit and craved food. He brought me chicken broth, but I didn’t like it. Then he brought me vegetable broth, but I also didn’t like that. He finally brought me beef broth, watered down. He did whatever he could to make me feel better while staying authentic and real. I trusted Isaac more than any other nurse that cared for me. I am coming back to reverse my ileostomy and I am so excited. I only wish I could be taken care of by Isaac again. He was my hero and I’m sure he is many other patients’ hero, too!

Koy Saechao, R.N., 10K 
Koy was discharging a patient in the Kohler Pavilion round-about when she saw a woman literally give birth to a baby in the lobby. Koy responded quickly by assessing both mother and baby, which led her to intervene so the baby could breathe. She quickly called for help which activated the Rapid Response Team and looped in the Administrator on Duty and Labor and Delivery. Both mother and baby were rapidly and safely delivered to Labor and Delivery. Koy’s quick thinking and responsiveness was so impressive! As a Rapid Response Team nurse, I had butterflies in my own stomach as I ran to respond to this call. New babies are not the usual population for a Neurosciences nurse or a Rapid Response Team nurse! Koy should be celebrated for stepping forward in such an unusual situation.

Howard Song, M.D., Cardiothoracic Surgery
Dr. Song took the time to accompany an elderly couple from the Portland Aerial Tram in Kohler Pavilion to the Casey Eye Institute. This was no simple task, as the elevator usually used for this purpose was out of order. The couple were given insufficient directions by whomever was helped them last, and they were lost. Dr. Song accompanied them through three different elevators and multiple buildings to finally make it to the Casey Eye Institute. He took approximately 20 to 30 minutes out of his day to do this. This couple was very appreciative of his help and were able to make it in time for their surgery.

Lindsey Stave, R.N., OHSU Doernbecher 9N
Lindsey recently worked with a patient who was having difficulty coping with the many procedures they were undergoing, including some major changes to their daily lives. Being the creative and compassionate person that she is, Lindsey worked with this patient and their family to help develop a coping plan that included pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical interventions, ensuring that we could complete care without adding extra stress to the patient and their family. During one day when two rather eventful tasks needed to happen, she was able to sing an Imagine Dragons song to the patient while other providers did their tasks. Not only was this intervention highly successful, the patient actually laughed and smiled through most of the procedures. The patient and his family told every person they interacted with that day forward about how incredible it was to see that, with the right plan of care and innovative actions, their lives could slowly adjust back to normal. As a charge nurse I am so grateful that we have Lindsey on our team; she is amazingly patient, kind and therapeutic in her care. My own child has been a frequent patient here at OHSU Doernbecher, and if I could choose, Lindsey would be my pick for her nurse.

Luz Soca Torres, Cashier, Food and Nutrition
Luz is a cashier working at Sam’s Cafe. She keeps everything running smoothly when it seems like the wheels are coming off. The line of customers ordering food and beverages can stretch through the room while the line of customers waiting for their orders flows out into the hall. When Luz is not running the cash register, she is hauling trash and restocking, but always finding time to acknowledge a regular customer or give directions to patients. It is easy to overlook someone like Luz – you’re busy, you need to get to work or a meeting, you just want your latte or Americano. Luz understands and does her best every day to see that it happens that way. I have watched her for years and I’m always amazed at how hard she works and how well she keeps things organized and running smoothly despite the constant crush of customers and barista turnover.

Team award: Sheila Reimers, R.N., 7N, Koy Saechao, R.N., 10K, and Sanela Arnautovik, R.N., 10K
When our 26-year-old loved one arrived at OHSU, it was an incredibly terrifying time. There was no diagnosis and medical staff were trying to manage life-threatening symptoms. During this ordeal, one of our first nurses, Sheila, arrived to care for our loved one. Sheila was competent, calming, and stabilizing. She answered every question we had and saw needs that we didn’t even realize we had. She encouraged us, believed in us and loved us. When it comes to quality of care, she’s a beacon others should follow. As our loved one’s stay extended, we found ourselves in a difficult decision-making position. He needed to either go into a skilled nursing facility or get significantly stronger to get into inpatient rehabilitation. We felt desperate to help him not feel defeated by being placed into a home that was not well-aligned with his needs, and getting extra therapy was challenging within the hospital. Right as our concerns arose, another nurse, Koy walked in the room and said, “My patients don’t sit around all day!” She took his hand and began guiding him through stretches, teaching us how to strengthen his body. She encouraged him and taught him to walk again before we left from this stay. She did extra hygiene care, took him for walks and allowed his team of providers to see his progress and cheer him on. Her care was beyond exceptional, and her love will never be forgotten. After being in the Neurosciences ICU for over a month, we had a difficult transfer to a different unit, 10K. It turned out that our loved one was overcoming life-threatening encephalitis. After the difficult transfer, the floor did everything they could to help us feel stable and supported. Another nurse, Sanela, did just that. She deeply connected with our loved one, showing great compassion and interest in who he was and inspiring him to want to heal. Even with incredible memory deficits, he spoke of Sanela each day throughout his time there. She was exceptional at explaining what was going on, checking in with us and making sure we were comfortable as we had also lived in the hospital during this time. There was not a moment that we did not feel loved and supported in her competent care. After this whole ordeal, we can say that we are eternally grateful to Sheila, Koy, and Sanela for their exceptional care.

Golden ROSE Award recipients

Luciana Diodati-DuBoulay, Social Worker, Care Management
A trauma patient arrived to the Emergency Department by ambulance following a motor vehicle accident and had a service dog. The dog was understandably scared and wouldn’t leave the ambulance after her owner was transported to the trauma bay. The patient did not have a leash for the dog and could not assist with getting her out of the ambulance. Luciana was just coming on shift and has personal experience with a special needs dog, so the other social worker on duty knew that she was the person for the job. Luciana grabbed a spare leash from her car and, with help from the EMT, was able to coax the very terrified dog out of the ambulance and into the trauma bay until an alternative care provider was able to come assist. Luciana’s swift actions got the ambulance crew back on the road and reunited a patient in a traumatic situation with their service animal as quickly as possible. This is not the first time that I have witnessed Luciana go above and beyond to assist patients with dogs in the Emergency Department. She is creative, compassionate, trauma-informed and very aware of the important role that these furry friends play in our patients’ lives. Luciana’s passion for helping patients get care for their animals while they get care from the medical team is a true asset to the services we provide in the Emergency Department, as patients are able to rest assured that their beloved pets are well-cared for.

Heather Newberry, Medical Assistant, Orthopedics
Recently we had a patient in our clinic who is a frail, older gentleman recovering from a near-death MRSA infection affecting his spine and hip. He arrived from follow-up at Mirabella Portland, a facility located across the street from the OHSU Center for Health & Healing. Though the patient didn’t have far to travel, he was wheelchair or stretcher bound due to all of his issues. An ambulance dropped him off, but when we called to arrange pick up, we were told that they would not be able to pick him up for many hours, and later, that there was no actual timeframe for pick-up. He had been here all day without his medications. Heather helped care for him all afternoon, providing snacks, drinks and comforting words while he waited for a ride that was never to come. The clinic closed at 5:00 p.m. but Heather stayed way past her scheduled shift to stay with him. Eventually realizing that the ride was not coming, she was able to help him into a wheelchair and physically take him across the street to his facility. She went far beyond her duties to help this gentleman maintain his dignity and get back to his facility, even through issues of incontinence and poor pain control without his medications.

Hillary Paasch, Education Manager, Anesthesiology
Hillary is an Education Coordinator who supports all aspects of the Anesthesiology Residency program. Recently, upon leaving the hospital for the day, she ran into one of the anesthesia residents in the parking lot. They greeted each other and Hillary realized that this resident was deeply upset. She took her time talking with the resident about some disheartening feedback they had received. She listened, provided a shoulder to cry on and helped the resident come up with a proactive course of action to address the concerns. This took close to an hour after she had “left for the day.” Even with her own personal responsibilities and children to get home to, Hillary took the time to be there for our resident. This kind of support is not completely out of the norm for Hillary. I’ve witnessed her console residents after the loss of a patient or cheer them on in their successes. This particular instance showed that Hillary truly lives her role at OHSU beyond her work hours and demonstrates outstanding service no matter what the setting.

Know someone at OHSU who deserves recognition? Nominate them for a ROSE Award!

One response to “Congratulations to the January 2019 ROSE Award recipients

1. Dr. Song performed my mitral valve heart valve replacement back in November of 2007. He is a kind and knowledgeable doctor. He and his team did an excellent job. I had my surgery on a Friday morning, and was home resting in my own bed by Monday evening. Thank you, Dr. Song and your team.
    Roberta O’Dell