Congratulations to the May 2019 ROSE Award recipients

OHSU’s ROSE (Recognizing Outstanding Service Excellence) Award program celebrates employees, students and volunteers who provide outstanding service beyond the normal scope of their jobs.

Meet this month’s recipients and learn why they were nominated below!

Red ROSE Award recipients

Jeanne Martin, Administrative Coordinator, General Practice Residency – School of Dentistry
There is nothing average about Jeanne – she does her job well and is always willing to learn new things. She knows more about the operations of the General Practice Residency than most anyone else. She is a very close confidant to our dental assistant and dental hygienists and she thrives on paying attention to people, especially those who are scared or in distress. Recently we had a new patient who had been an assault victim in the past and was very fearful of the dentist. She desperately needed to get her teeth fixed but had issues with panic attacks as well as a history of heart disease. After a meeting with other staff to discuss a plan, Jeanne took the role of being this patient’s advocate while in the clinic and would pay close attention to the patient’s needs at her appointment. When the patient came in the following week, everyone played their role, with Jeanne being key.

The patient was successfully evaluated, had no panic attacks and was eager to proceed with additional treatment after a medical consultation. Just before leaving, she gave Jeanne a big hug and said, “I could not have done this without you.” This is just the type of person Jeanne is. She also works closely with patients to make their treatment plans happen, either by clever scheduling or working out financial treatment plans. As you can see, multifaceted service is what Jeanne is all about!

Stephanie O’Brien, Manager, Ambulatory Facilities Planning, Facilities Management
Around the time that Stephanie was nearing the end of her year as an Administrative Fellow, there was news of a major construction project being proposed at the South Waterfront. It would be two new buildings – what would become the Center for Health & Healing 2 and the Rood Family Pavilion. These projects were to be pivotal in the OHSU plan to migrate outpatient services from Marquam Hill to the South Waterfront. Though Stephanie had never worked on a construction project before, the Chief Operations Officer was so confident in her abilities that a position was created just for her – she would represent the Clinical Enterprise on all aspects of this venture. As a member of the CORE Team, she would assure that the operational needs of all departments would be included in the design and construction of these facilities. In addition, she created and facilitated the Patient and Family Advisory Council, recruiting patients and family members to provide input on the design of the Center for Health & Healing 2; she facilitated the Steering Committee meetings and managed all OHSU and community-wide communications; acted as the lead on the creation of the OHSU/Ronald McDonald House Charities partnership and took the reins to lead the Clinical Enterprise in the entire Go-Live Building and Operational Readiness effort. I could go on and on! Her ability to take a complex issue or concern and find the “bridge” that linked it to just the right answer, again and again, was amazing! She led the Clinical Enterprise in operational innovations with her drive to create an inspiring place for patients, families, staff and the community. I am thankful and honored to have been teamed up with Stephanie, in this project, for the past five years. 

Emily Schloff, M.D., House Officer – OB/GYN, Graduate Medical Services
I found myself in the Emergency Department one night, scared, alone, and in a lot of pain. Of all the people I met, Dr. Schloff was the one person who stood out from the crowd. When she walked into the room, I immediately felt safe and comfortable. She warmly introduced herself and showed genuine concern. She was confident when she spoke, but also very gentle. I could feel that she genuinely wanted to help me and was happy to do so. At one point I started to cry and she came in and comforted me. She was so sweet that I forgot she was my doctor; it felt like she was my sister or a good friend, which is something I desperately needed. I’ve never experienced that with a doctor before; she went beyond what I would have expected anyone to do. She was also extremely professional; when I told her I was a medical student, she made sure that no other students were present and that I had the utmost privacy. She walked me through every step of my procedure and got things moving. The operating room was busy that night but she managed to get me in within an hour. Throughout the night she checked on me multiple times. She helped me into bed, got me warm towels, moved me to a more comfortable room, wrote me a doctor’s note and ensured that I was attended to. It was an extremely long night and I’m amazed at how she kept her upbeat attitude from the minute she walked through the door to the minute I was discharged. She is more than a physician – she’s a true caregiver. I grew up surrounded by great doctors and have been a patient many times, but I’ve never been so inspired as to say, “That’s the kind of doctor I want to be.” Dr. Schloff is absolutely the type of doctor I aspire to be! I can only hope that I treat my patients as well as she treated me that night. Thank you, Dr. Schloff!

Jesse Wagner, CNA, 11K 
My patient was a long-term congenital patient who had spent months off and on our unit. Every time he’s here, he deals with severe pain issues that are difficult to manage. During a recent admission, I had to remove some of his surgical dressings, and the patient was in such pain, he was shaking, and I wasn’t able to manage it with any of our available pain medications. The patient asked if Jesse was available and I told him that I would check, but informed the patient that he was assigned to the other side of the hall that morning. Despite this, as soon as I called Jesse, he didn’t even hesitate and made time to come over and see my patient right away. He took him for several laps around the unit and distracted him by conversing about the patient’s favorite topics. By doing this, Jesse helped decrease the patient’s pain and anxiety. My patient truly has a bond with Jesse. Even though Jesse was not assigned to the patient, the fact that he willingly helped demonstrates just how much he will go above and beyond to help someone heal.   

Tosha Zaback, Research Associate, Casey Eye Institute 
Tosha works at the Casey Eye Institute to manage an outstanding state-wide program of community vision health partners. We are nominating Tosha for her outstanding performance in coordinating and assembling a recent CDC grant application to improve detection and management of glaucoma in high-risk populations. This project is designed to train, integrate and evaluate community health workers in community and home-based glaucoma care. This grant announcement provided only a six-week time frame for submission, spanning several winter holidays. However, within this short period, Tosha assembled a team of six OHSU Casey Eye Institute faculty members, two other OHSU faculty members and five community health partner sites to assemble a 371-page government application on a very stringent deadline. This performance exemplifies the strength of her existing connections at OHSU and with community health partners, along with her ability to assemble a collaborative team. We believe that this embodies the true nature of the ROSE award program.

Golden ROSE Award recipients

Jimmy Chen, Student, School of Medicine
Jimmy was a student on my inpatient service in Internal Medicine. When he felt challenged not connecting with a patient with dementia, he asked her what kind of music she liked. He learned she loved classical music. Jimmy is a classically trained violinist and with a little encouragement, he brought his violin and played a 10-minute concert for the patient and her caretaker at the bedside. The patient simply lit up and became more engaged, demonstrating how music can be a pathway to the mind and expression. Jimmy is an exceptional person and it was one of the most moving moments I’ve witnessed at OHSU – hearing Jimmy play while watching the patient surrounded by the care team and geriatrics team.

Robyn Liu, M.D., Associate Professor, Family Medicine at South Waterfront 
Dr. Liu provided wonderful support to a patient and their family during an unexpected child death. When the hospital chaplain wasn’t available overnight to provide a baptism for the child, Dr. Liu went out of her way to call her own pastor at home to ask him to come in to provide a service for the family. Thanks to Dr. Liu’s commitment, the family was able to have a last-minute service for their child. Dr. Liu’s compassion, support and dedication to this family evidenced by helping get a religious provider to the hospital on a weekend night was so cherished by the family. Her advocacy was more healing to them than any medication or medical-decision making during this time of exquisite grief.

Know someone at OHSU who deserves recognition? Nominate them for a ROSE Award!