Celebrate National Doctors Day by saying thank you

In celebration of National Doctors Day, our friends over at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital sat down with Dr. Nate Selden to ask what inspired him to become a physician – and what continues to inspire him in his day-to-day life as the Campagna Chair of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Doernbecher and Director of OHSU’s Neurological Surgery Residency Program.

Below, find an excerpt of Dr. Selden’s post, originally published on our Doernbecher “Healthy Families” blog.

Day to day, I never use any of the information I studied in biochemistry. I do use my knowledge of neuroscience, however, not just to treat brain diseases, but also to understand how young adults learn and improve.

One of my most rewarding activities as an academic neurosurgeon has been to develop new systems for teaching safety and professionalism to young trainees using simulation courses, as well as new ways to objectively assess progress towards safe, independent practice.

Every neurosurgeon we train well will take care of thousands of patients that I will never even see; that is high impact! 

Keep reading here.

Thank you to all of our generous and hardworking physicians here at the Brain Institute.

We invite you to leave a message for your favorite doctor on our Facebook page, or consider giving back in their name.

One response to “Celebrate National Doctors Day by saying thank you

1. A thank you just doesn’t seem enough but THANK YOU. You did brain surgery on Dillon two year’s ago for a seizure disorder that would have ended his life way to early. You and your team that you work with are nothing short of a amazing. And Kelly and I cannot thank you and your team enough, but THANK YOU.