Meet Helen Richardson, BRAINet chair and volunteer

In celebration of Volunteer Week, OHSU Brain Institute volunteers are “taking over” the blog to share their unique perspective.

Helen Richardson is the Chair of the BRAINet Board.

Why did you become a volunteer for OHSU?

I’ve always been fascinated by the brain. When I discovered BRAINet, I knew it was an organization I wanted to be part of. Getting to learn about current research from those doing the work and then being able to help pass along this information in language the public can understand for me is a wonderful way to educate myself and help provide an important service to others.

How long have you volunteered in this position?

I’ve been a member of BRAINet for at least 6 years.  This is my second year of service on the Board.

What does your position entail?

I chair monthly meetings of the Board and our Steering Committee as well as welcome attendees to our monthly luncheon/lectures. I interact with the public at many of the numerous activities BRAINet is involved with such as the OMSI Brain Fair. I also coordinate with Bobby Heagerty to help meet the goals of the OHSU Brain Institute.

What’s the best thing about being a volunteer?

The best part of being involved with BRAINet is having the opportunity to continue learning in the company of the bright and capable Board members and staff.

Tell us about a favorite moment.

When I was helping at the Brain Fair, a woman came up and asked what our organization was about. When I told her about the luncheon/lectures, her eyes lit up and she said, “I didn’t know something like this existed. How do I join!?!” Her excitement and enthusiasm touched me and reinforced how important it is to provide this service to the community.

The Brain Research Awareness and Information Network (BRAINet) is the volunteer outreach organization of the OHSU Brain Institute.

You too can play an important part in generating enthusiasm for brain research and, most importantly, in making vital connections within the community. Please join us!