Eleven-year-old inspired by her mom to find a cure for multiple sclerosis

image_8It has been important to me to raise money for the MS Walk for the past 8 years because my Mom, Carol, has been diagnosed for 21 years and I have only known her living with MS and its challenges.

At the age of 3, I was able to join her at an MS conference in Boston and it was then that I saw how MS affects thousands of people in thousands of different ways.

I knew that I needed to do my part in making a difference.

That is when I decided to fundraise on my own for the walk.

My parents walked with me through our neighborhood as I went up to the door of each house by myself and told the neighbors what I was collecting money for and why.

I was amazed how it seemed many knew someone who had the disease.  I successfully raised $1,500 that first year. Each year, my walk total has increased. In 2015, I raised $10,300 and was #5 top fundraiser for all Oregon walks.

This year, I have beat that total with $10,430 so far. I have until May 31 to try to get more.

It is my hope that people who live with MS will not only have a life as normal as possible, but that there will be a CURE and that in the future, others won’t have to hear the words, “You have MS” anymore! 

IMG_20160423_081403Over the years, I have been able to see my fundraising dollars being used productively as new MS drugs have been developed giving people more options for treatment.

I know it is because of treatment and great care by a MS specialist that my mom is able to live a good life.

Her specialist, Dr. Ruth Whitham, has given her that opportunity. Dr. Whitham is a huge part of “my family” and I will always be grateful for her. Because of her great care for my mom, I was able to exist.

Due to my fundraising accomplishments last year, I was privileged to attend the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s Leadership Conference.

I learned so much there and it inspired me to work even harder for this cause.

My mom is no different than any other person’s mom, she just has a disease and I want to do all I can to help find the cure.

Claire’s mother shares her story of living with MS, and finding love and inspiration here.

One response to “Eleven-year-old inspired by her mom to find a cure for multiple sclerosis

1. Claire and her mother is no less than an inspiration for the families whose members are diagoned with multiple sclerosis. An epitome to what we call – Really courageous!