An important message from Doernbecher Freestyle patient-designer Jacob

Hello! It’s Doernbecher Freestyle patient-designer Jacob Burris here. My shoe designs are coming along great. I hope that they are going to blow your minds!!!

I wanted to share a little something about myself and other congenital heart defect (CHD) survivors. A lot of people tend to think that I am all better now, or “fixed” after my heart surgery. Well, the truth is that most people with a CHD have to take medicine to regulate their blood pressure, like me. Others may have to eat special diets or even have to limit their activity. It is really important for all CHD patients to have regular check-ups with their heart doctor throughout their entire lives. Even though a person may have survived their heart surgery, their life is still at risk

I survived my heart surgery and I still take medicine every day. I also check my blood pressure twice a week so I know if it changes. I didn’t feel any different when my blood pressure was high so I like to remind others to check their blood pressure because something could be wrong and you might not even know.

***

Jacob’s mom wrote a post about Jacob’s heart story, too. You can read that here. You can also learn more about Jacob and how he’s helping spread the word about heart health on his website or follow along on his “Jacob’s Heart Story” Facebook page!

Meet Jacob and the rest of this year’s incredible Doernbecher Freestyle patient-designers here – and save the date for the big collection reveal at our auction on October 23!

Additional coverage: “Jacob Burris, 13, preaches blood pressure checks, adds ‘Nike clothing designer’ to his resume” via The Register Guard, “Local middle schooler designs Nike shoe to benefit Doernbecher” via Eugene Weekly

One response to “An important message from Doernbecher Freestyle patient-designer Jacob

1. Thank you for sharing your story and your important reminder!! I’m excited to see your shoe design! 🙂