A day in the life of a Doernbecher doc

In her spare time, Dr. Guzman loves long-distance running. Here she is at the 2015 Paris International Marathon!
In her spare time, Dr. Guzman loves long-distance running. Here she is at the 2014 Paris International Marathon!

For the last 12 years, Dr. Judy Guzman has cared for OHSU Doernbecher patients with infectious diseases. She loves working with kids because of their optimism, and it’s safe to say our patients and families feel the same way about her. Affectionately known as “The Guz” among some patient families, Dr. Guzman is also involved in several projects aimed at decreasing hospitalized children’s risk of developing infections.

This Doctors Day, we sat down with Dr. Guzman to learn what an average Wednesday looks like for her.

***

6:00 a.m.: Wake up for a morning run around my neighborhood (although the recent Daylight Saving change has admittedly made me skip a few runs…)

7:00 to 8:00 a.m.: Get my kids ready for school. They’re old enough to make their own breakfasts at this point, so I’m just a supervisor now!

8:00 a.m.: Wave kids off to school. We’re lucky to live only three blocks from our school, so they can walk – rain or shine! Once they’re on their way, I drive up to Doernbecher.

Dr. Guzman and her amazing clinic team meeting with a sweet Doernbecher patient

9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Wednesday morning clinic. I have the best clinic team ever!

12:30 p.m.: Lunch. Every Wednesday I have the kale Caesar salad from the Natural Food Store next to the OHSU gift shop. It’s my favorite!

1:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.: Various tasks, including patient care, research meetings and conference calls. Of course, there’s always some paperwork to do!

5:30 p.m.: Head home! I spend the rest of the evening making dinner, helping my kids with their homework – general household frenzy stuff!

Dr. Guzman with her family
Dr. Guzman with her family

Judy Guzman, D.O.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases
OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital

Know a Doernbecher doctor you’d like to thank? Leave a comment below or email socialmedia@ohsu.edu, and we’ll be sure to pass along your note! 

4 responses to “A day in the life of a Doernbecher doc

1. Wonderful story about a wonderful doctor. Thanks for sharing this message. Dr. Guz deserves all the accolades she gets.

2. Congratulations Dr Judy!
    Very nice article about your work and family!
    Happy Doctors Day!