The Oregon Healthy Workforce Center’s Safety and Health Improvement Program (SHIP) provides online training, templates, and guides for supervisors and managers to help improve the safety, health and well-being of employees. The SHIP toolkit has been shown in research studies to:
- Reduce stress and work-life conflict
- Increase team communication and effectiveness
- Improve employee health and safety
- Enhancements in work processes and practices
SHIP includes four components:
- Online supervisor training (1 hour)
- Behavior tracking activities for supervisors to practice the Family Supportive Supervisor Behaviors learned during the online training
- Team Effectiveness Process (TEP) facilitation guide and leadership slides. TEP is a team based structured group discussion in which supervisors and their teams meet to brainstorm solutions to improve work practices, communication, and the work environment
- Follow-up guide for supervisors and managers, which is an essential aspect of SHIP that helps ensure what is learned during the SHIP toolkit becomes embedded into everyday work practices
This past August, the SHIP user guide, templates, and leadership slides were improved to provide easier program implementation instructions, a more streamlined package and quick access to essential tools for every day practice. Translating research to practice is not an easy or fast process, and we are grateful for the support and feedback we received from our community and partnering organizations to help further develop and improve our toolkits.
If you or your organization is interested in the SHIP toolkit, we are offering the program at no cost through OHWC’s YourWorkpath Program. Our team can also help with customizing the SHIP online training for your organization (branding, videos, photos, etc.) if needed.
Our Outreach Team is available to discuss workplace safety, health and well-being resources and provide consultation and guidance to support your organization’s Total Worker Health® programming efforts.