Last September, Institute Senior Research Associate and Oregon Healthy Workforce Center Outreach Co-Principal Investigator, Dede Montgomery was appointed to the CDC’s National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) COVID-19 Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA). Dede has worked with us here at OHSU for 17 years, and has been working as a safety and health professional in the Pacific Northwest for 35 years.
The U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) states that “IPA’s provide for the temporary assignment of personnel between the Federal Government and state and local governments, colleges and universities, Indian tribal governments, federally funded research and development centers and other eligible organizations.” The CDC NIOSH IPA meets on a monthly basis, where members report out on impact and completed tasks.
Dede has represented the Institute and OHSU in projects, presentations and a task force as part of her involvement in the IPA. Some of Dede’s IPA appointment efforts included:
- Providing presentations and videos about COVID-19 and work (Oregon Association of Home Care, Oregon Young Employees Safety Coalition).
- Participation in Oregon COVID-19 Construction Task Force, presented with Robert Camarillo of Oregon Building Trades to CPWR/NIOS.
- Providing information on labor housing and ventilation needs to Oregon agriculture advocates.
- Providing workplace vaccine need information and connecting partners to OHSU’s vaccine equity group.
- Pitching, co-creating and producing 10 COVID Conversations targeting safety and health professionals, industrial hygienists, occupational health nurses and human resource professionals on Oregon Healthy Workforce Center’s YouTube channel.
- Sharing information from CDC, NIOSH and partners through the Insitute’s blog.
Thank you, Dede, for providing your expertise as a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and Total Worker Health® practitioner to the CDC NIOSH COVID IPA. We greatly appreciate your hard work and commitment to help improve the safety, health and well-being of workers through the state and nationally.