In case you haven’t heard, Harold Varmus, M.D., announced yesterday that he will be stepping down from his position as director of NIH’s National Cancer Institute, effective Mar. 31, 2015. Varmus has led the NCI for nearly five years, and is leaving to pursue scientific work in New York City. In a letter to NCI staff, he outlines some of NCI’s accomplishments during his tenure, advancements in cancer research, and his future plans.
About the author
Julie Rogers is Research Development Associate in the Office of Research Funding & Development Services.
Other posts by this author:
- Reminder: RCR and human subjects training deadline, May 31
- OHSU Center for Women’s Health Circle of Giving awards two research grants
- Gerlinger Research Award applications due June 4
- Presidential bridge funding applications due June 15
- Pew Scholars Program for junior faculty; internal applications due June 5