Beginning January 25, 2019, if you submit a grant application to the National Institutes of Health for a study involving human subjects, you must include a plan for including individuals across the lifespan. Progress reports will be required to include demographic information, especially age, and will be expected to reflect the demographics of the research topic.
Grant applications submitted to the NIH on or after January 25 will be subject to the new Inclusion Across the Lifespan Policy. The policy will replace the Inclusion of Children in Clinical Research Policy.
Seminar: Including Older Adults in Research
June 5, 2018
2 to 3 p.m.
School of Nursing, room 364
NIH policy as it relates to including study participants of all ages
The longstanding NIH policy has been that children must be included in all NIH-supported human subjects’ research unless there are scientific or ethical reasons not to include them.
The Inclusion Across the Lifespan Policy broadens the longstanding policy and address inclusion of research participants of all ages. The goal is to make sure new knowledge from NIH-funded research applies to all those affected by the conditions being studied.
OCTRI Research Forum Seminar on including older adults in research
Elizabeth Eckstrom, M.D., M.P.H., director of OCTRI’s new Integrating Special Populations Core, will lead an interactive group discussion to:
- Review challenges to including older adults in research, such as consenting older adults who might have limited ability to consent, sustaining older adults in research, transportation challenges, and the need for measurement tool adaptation (e.g., font size of surveys)
- Discuss practical and feasible strategies to overcome these challenges
- Prepare research teams for grant submissions once the new NIH Inclusion Across the Lifespan Policy is implemented
We encourage all investigators, research coordinators, and other team members whose research includes topics that occur in older adults to attend this seminar.
Training: June 5, 2018, 2 to 3 p.m., School of Nursing, room 364
- NIH Inclusion Across the Lifespan policy implementation
- Mike Lauer NIH Extramural Nexus blog post “NIH Announces Inclusion Across the Lifespan Policy”
- Information on OCTRI Research Forum Series