Black OHSU neuroscientists answer the Roll Call

#BlackInNeuroWeek

“Black in Neuro week was like finally stepping into the room and not being the odd one out. It was both inspiring and rejuvenating, a much-needed pause-and-celebrate in this time when Black academics are being asked to urgently help problem-solve centuries-old systemic racism,” said Raina Croff, assistant professor of neurology in the School of Medicine. “Black in Neuro Week was a chance to look around the room and appreciate our individual expertise and our collective brilliance. For me as a neuroanthropologist who centers the Black experience to inspire Black participation in cognitive health research, Black in Neuro Week centered my experience as a Black neuroscientist to inspire me.”

#BlackinNeuroWeek launched Monday, July 27, with a Black Neuro Roll Call answered by neuroscientists around the world — including by some at OHSU.

The inaugural #BlackInNeuroWeek wraps up this weekend. See their website for events — including panels from throughout the week, which were recorded and are available online.

This was the first year of the event, which sparked conversations among neuroscientists around the world, featured panels events that were recorded and live social events that weren’t.

“I’m amazed at what the #blackinneuro leadership team has accomplished in such a short amount of time,”  said Tavita Garrett, Ph.D., candidate, Vollum Institute. “I’m thankful that their efforts have allowed me to build connection and community with so many Black neuroscientists.”

OHSU and the OHSU Department of Behavioral Neuroscience were sponsors of this event.