Join Innovation Day 2023 to learn about some of the leading-edge innovations your colleagues have developed, the stories behind them and the OHSU Innovates teams that provide support to OHSU scientists moving their innovations to society. Innovation Day will be held virtually on Thursday, May 4, 2023, as a part of OHSU Research Week.
The day begins at 10 a.m. with a keynote address from Azurii Collier, Ph.D., “Imagine our world: Creating impact in biotechnology,” and is followed by a day rich in panels featuring resources and experiences for those looking to turn scientific ideas into real-world solutions. An innovates showcase, beginning at 2 p.m., wraps up Innovation Day.
OHSU Innovation Day
Thursday, May 4, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Register now for login information. Attendance is free and open to all community members.
10 a.m. Innovation and commercialization keynote
Imagine our world: Creating impact in biotechnology
Azurii Collier, Ph.D., director, Portfolio Innovation, AbbVie
2023 National President & Board Chair, Women In Bio
“I hope to inspire during OHSU Innovation Day 2023, said Collier. “In between today and a better tomorrow is innovation, and innovation lives in the minds of inspired individuals.
Collier has nearly 20 years research and consulting experience exclusively in the life sciences industry. She has worked in discovery, technology transfer, proof of concept, startup, R&D, product management, supply chain and patient services. Today, Collier uses her skills and experience as director of Enterprise Innovation at AbbVie. She leads enterprise-wide programs to accelerate submission timelines and continuously improve regulatory business processes. Collier is also the 2023 president elect of Women in Bio (WIB), a 3,000-member affiliate of the Biotechnology Innovation Organization.
11 a.m. Beating the odds: Overcoming barriers and turning your science into solutions
A panel discussion from local insiders that are building programs to help inventors and entrepreneurs overcome barriers to moving their inventions to society.
- Mandy Gettler, Co-lead, Women’s Innovation Network, University of Oregon
- Jackie Wirz, Ph.D., Executive Director, Donate Life Northwest
- Cara Turano, President and Executive Director, Oregon Entrepreneur’s Network
- Hazel Valdez, Executive Director, PDXWIT
1 p.m. An insider’s guide to scientific careers outside of academia
A chance for early career scientists to learn about career paths outside academic science and hear first-hand from those in fields such as business development, intellectual property law, industry science and venture capital
- Tara Macey, Ph.D., MSL, Genentech
- Lauren Blair, Ph.D., M.B.A., Director of Clinical and Scientific Alliances Astra Zeneca R&D, Research and Early Development
- Sarah Warren, Ph.D., Senior Director, Research Strategy at Kite Pharma
- Tanya M. Harding, J.D., Ph.D., Partner, Lee & Hayes, P.C.
2 p.m. OHSU innovation showcase
A showcase of innovative science happening at OHSU covering the spectrum of the innovation process, including industry collaboration, early stage technology development and startup company formation.
- Katharine Carter, MSc, Director, Medical and Scientific Affairs Office of Science and Technology, GE HealthCare
“Benefits and lessons of long term partnering: GE Healthcare and OHSU”
- Stuart Ibsen, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, School of Medicine; Member, CEDAR, OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, School of Medicine
“Turning antibodies off and on again using photoactivatable modulation”
- Rachel Dreilinger, Co-Founder & CEO of NeuraMedica Inc.
“Commercialization of an OHSU Technology – DuraFuse: Innovative Dural Closure Clips”
- Scott Filer, M.B.A. CEO, Promedix
Innovation Day is hosted by OHSU Innovates, a collaborative network that supports innovation and collaboration at OHSU and the region. Collaborators include OHSU Technology Transfer, OHSU Collaborations and Entrepreneurship, the Oregon Clinical and Translational Research Institute (OCTRI) and Strategic Alliances for the OHSU School of Medicine and Knight Cancer Institute.