Surviving Fall

Fall quarter is definitely proving to be a bit more hectic than summer quarter. We are taking Clinical Medicine, Clin Med Tutorials, Gross Anatomy with the medical and radiation therapy students, and to top it all off, we have started mentoring! It took me awhile, but I think I have finally found a rhythm for this quarter. Although I am crazy busy, I am beginning to realize that I actually am retaining what I am learning:)

Mentoring so far has been a wonderful experience. Each of us first year students has been paired with a practicing PA in the community, mostly in Family Practice. Every Tuesday is set aside in our schedule to go visit and learn from our mentor. This gives us a chance to practice our history taking and physical examination skills on actual patients! Before my first mentor visit I was incredibly nervous; I was convinced that I had forgotten EVERYTHING that I had learned during summer quarter. Turned out I was wrong! I was able to contribute to a portion of the history taking, as well as perform many different physical exams on several patients! There were definitely moments of severe brain farts, but all in all it was a very positive first experience. It was a great reminder of why I decided to apply to PA school in the first place. I am looking forward to developing these skills further, gaining confidence, and learning much more from my awesome mentor.