Nurses’ health study

This quarter, I am embracing Population-Based Nursing 410.  This term requires us nursing students to step out into the community and take a look around at health disparities and the like.  As I think about this course, and as I anticipate it greatly (especially because of  my prior community health education degree), I have to share a unique opportunity female nursing students and nurses have to participate in something greater than themselves.  The Nurses’ Health Studies,  is “the largest, longest running investigations of women’s health.  Started in 1976 and expanded in 1989, the information provided by its 238,000 dedicated nurse-participants has allowed NHS to produce key advances in literally hundreds of important topics–altering medical practice and changing national dietary guidelines.”  It requires a mere 30 minute survey regarding women’s health issues/history, and helps researchers from Harvard, and Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, MA reveal nurses’ diverse backgrounds, specifically on topics such as lifestyle, fertility/pregnancy, environment, and nursing exposures.  If you can spare 30 minutes of your time, and are a female nursing student, I would highly recommend filling out this survey.  I believe the majority of us nursing students spend 30 minutes sometime during the week on Facebook, right?  Here’s the link if you want to take the survey and be a part of a national research study: http://www.nhs3.org/index.php/joinpage.