Work and Play

I started PA school in July, and it’s hard to believe that we’re over halfway done with our first year. Studying medicine at OHSU has been an incredible opportunity so far–it’s a privilege to to be surrounded by so many brilliant and motivated people, and I’m very grateful to be a part of the class of 2015. That said, it’s also probably one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done.

PA15 girls after the half marathon

It’s funny to reflect back on interview day, when the question was posed to us: “are you ready to take on the rigor and time commitment of PA school?” We all nodded eagerly, but I wonder if anyone truly understood the depth of the commitment. It’s certainly a challenging amount of work, and while I can’t quite say there’s an equal balance of work and play, we do manage to find some time for fun.

Last quarter, I ran the Portland Marathon with two other classmates, which was an incredible experience. A few months later, a handful of us completed the Holiday Half Marathon, which was a really great way to cap off fall term. In January, a large portion of our class traveled to Sun River for the OHSU All-Hill Ski Trip. We skied a day at Mt. Bachelor, enjoying the snow and soaking up all the sun we could. It was a treat to spend a long weekend with classmates in such a beautiful place.

All in all, our class has a lot of diverse interests and passions–climbing, acting, triathlons, and singing, to name a few. Incorporating a bit of fun into our very limited down time makes it easier to settle in, focus, and concentrate on our studies. On that note, I’m off to go for a quick run before a long evening of studying.

Summit of Mt. Bachelor

2 responses to “Work and Play