Lessons learned

StudentSpeak is pleased to feature this excerpt from Caitlin Harrington Brown, MS2. Caitlin’s original post appeared on the web site for Women in Thoracic Surgery.

I am a second year medical student at Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine. I started medical school with an interest in cardiothoracic (CT) surgery and that interest was quickly confirmed by early exposure to the field in the fall of my first year. For the purpose of this article, I have chosen the five most important “lessons” I have learned in my exploration of CT thus far. These lessons are the products of a careful analysis of the past year-and-a-half of my life, during which I have attended weekly surgeries, clinic, tumor board meetings, M&M conferences, fellowship teaching conferences, weekend rounds and simulation events with the perspective that medical school is the beginning of my training. This exposure has allowed me to learn technical and clinical skills and experience moments that will stay with me for the rest of my career. It has also helped me to recognize that for all that I have learned in the past eighteen months, my experience, knowledge base and technical skills have not yet begun to penetrate the surface of what I will need to excel in this field. Thus, it is in my best interest to be humble, work hard, listen, read, be grateful and squeeze every drop of wisdom I can out of the CT surgery team at my school. Read the full article on Women in Thoracic Surgery.